Installing a garbage disposal can be a good weekend do it yourself project. Most people with some basic plumbing knowledge can handle this project. Here are some steps to make it a little easier for our customers to hopefully install there own disposal.
- Make sure electric breaker is turned off. It’s a good idea not to just turn the switch off but to actually turn the power off at the electric breaker panel. Sometimes if you just turn off the power switch electricity can still be going to unit. This can cause you to get shocked. It is best to be safe and turn off at breaker in your electric panel.
2. Remove the piping from the disposal so you are able to remove it from the sink. Be careful that you do not loose these pieces. This will be needed to reinstall new disposal. As long as the pieces are in good condition.
3. Next disconnect the disposal from the sink by inserting a screw driver in the loops on the garbage disposal throat. Twisting it to the left to remove from the bracket. If the disposal throat is the same type and in good condition you don’t have to replace the part that actually bolts to sink.
4. Turn the disposal over and remove the electric whip. It should have three wires black, white and green. attach wires to like colors. It is also a good idea to use new wire nuts and secure them with electrical tape. This is a good idea because of the vibration it can cause the wire nuts to come loose.
5. Last if you have a dishwasher it is important to take hammer and screwdriver and knock out plug in dishwasher drain port on disposal. This is located on the side and is roughly 3/4 of a inch in diameter. After knocking out plastic piece make sure you remove it from inside unit with your hand.
Once the disposal is removed you can install the new one in reverse order. Such as attach electric to new disposal then attach to sink. Next reinstall old piping. Turn breaker back on and test the new unit. Not all disposals are easy some take a plumber to install it properly. If you have a disposal or a plumbing issue or questions give Drain Genie Plumbing Services a call in Orlando 407-490-1230 or in Sanford 407-393-0718.
We also service Longwood, Lake Mary, Winter Park, Casselberry, Orlando, Apopka, Maitland, Deltona, Altamonte Springs, Oviedo, Sanford, Winter Springs, Deland, Daytona Beach and all of Central Florida.